The stores are full. The cart is full. The wallet is empty. The holidays aren’t about the gifts. I know this. We all know this. But the truth is that I. LOVE. GIVING. GIFTS. I love finding that perfect gift that shows someone that I care about them, that I “get” them.
Holidays can be stressful when you’re trying to find the perfect gift. I have found that when I buy gifts that support causes that I care about, I feel so much more at peace with my holiday shopping. Sometimes it’s hard to find a great gift that also gives back.
Here are a few ideas for fun gifts (in all price ranges) for all your favorite people. Each of these gifts supports children and youth in foster care or the cause of adoption. You can find out more information about the organization’s ethical giving on their website.
Gifts for Kids
- Together We Rise– Penguin Pal ($20): The Penguin Pal is a great stuffed animal for any child- soft and cute, it is sure to bring comfort and cuddles. Together We Rise is a non-profit that strives to improve the lives of children in foster care.
- Kind Culture Co– Kindness Spreading Dolls ($59)- These beautiful and creative dolls comes with tokens for children to give as a random act of kindness. Each has a different value like hope, peace, joy. For each doll sold a doll is donated to a child in need. Kind Culture Co works with incredible charitable partners to guarantee that every purchase you make will directly benefit a child in need.
- Bears for Humanity– Organic Plush Toys ($25-45)- Unique animals pals from a kitty to an eagle or even a blue tang fish. For every toy purchased, a Teddy Bear is donated to a child in need. Bears for Humanity is committed to building stronger families by giving jobs to at-risk mothers, fathers, and caregivers.
- Jockey– Jockey Being Family® Bear ($10)- You can’t go wrong with a classic teddy bear. This one comes in two colors (Sam and Donna), with the Jockey Being Family logo on the foot and a heart shaped tummy. Jockey donates $5 for each bear sold to the Jockey Being Family Foundation to help fund post-adoption services.
- Goods and Better – “I Choose You” Print ($13)- There are lots of colorful and meaningful prints to choose from, but this one says it all for a foster or adopted child’s room- “I choose You. Again and Again. Forever.” Your G&B purchase brings hope and healing to children entering foster care through a partnership with Foster the Family. You choose your impact by selecting what you’d like to pass on: comfort, clothing, luggage, essentials, or a baby bundle.
Gifts for Her
- Espwa- The Shop Forward– Custom 4 Things Tote ($39.95)- You get to customize this adorable tote bag with your special someone’s four favorite things. Or choose the 4Things Teachers, 4Things Joy Seeker, 4Things Dear Mama, or 4Things Daily Mantra Tote with themed favorite things. Espwa® line began when two women were looking for a way to help provide for an orphanage that they worked closely with in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
- Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption– Love Cozy Crew ($59.50)- This comfy crew neck sweatshirt is sure to get tons of compliments. 15% of your purchase goes back to the Dave Thomas Foundation for Adoption which dramatically increases the number of adoption of children waiting in North America’s foster care systems.
- Goods and Better – Beautiful Chaos Stamped Necklace ($18)- “Perfect to celebrate the beautiful + broken life of foster care, adoption, and parenthood.” Each necklace is hand crafted. Your G&B purchase brings hope and healing to children entering foster care through a partnership with Foster the Family. You choose your impact by selecting what you’d like to pass on: comfort, clothing, luggage, essentials, or a baby bundle.
- Swell Forever – The Kinsley Forever Blanket® Alpaca ($260)- Swell Forever sells beautiful heirloom blankets and monogrammed gifts. This is the throw that you will want to cuddle up under with your family for years to come. It comes with or without fringe. Swell Forever® was created with the goal of raising awareness and providing funds to help improve the chances of waiting children who need to find a Forever Family. All of our products are designed with a contribution margin in mind to make sure that even before we settle our expenses, your purchase directly contributes to our desire to help more families adopt out of foster care.
- Gobena– Christmas Go Box Coffee + Chocolate ($79.99) – What gift list is complete without coffee and chocolate! This is the PERFECT gift for the woman in your life. Gobena was created when a couple was adopting from Ethiopia. Rob and Emily Webb were shocked at the expense of international adoption which makes it nearly impossible for many prospective adoptive families. Your purchase helps provide adoption assistance to hopeful families-to-be.
Gifts for Him
- Sage Harvest Jerky– 4 oz Chipotle Bourbon jerky ($12.99)- This is a best seller! Perfect for your man’s (or anyone who likes a lot of flavor) stocking. Sage Harvest’s goal is to “change the orphan story” by providing life-changing surgeries to orphans around the world and helping provide grants for adopting families.
- Together We Rise– Foster Love Crew TShirt ($25)- This unisex fitted tee is really a great gift for anyone. Together We Rise strives to support children in foster care as well as foster families who are providing care. By wearing this shirt, you can help support their mission.
- Gobena Coffee – Christmas Go Box His and Hers ($74.99) Mugs, coffee, and chocolate covered espresso beans. I mean, does it get better than that?! In summer of 2007, Steve and Danae traveled to Ethiopia to adopt their little girl, Eva. There they met Gobena, a man who found and rescued Eva when she was abandoned near his home. This act inspired Steve and Danae to start Gobena Coffee.
- Sevenly– Family is More than Blood Shirt ($28) – A comfy shirt, a true statement. Share your truth and help spread the message about foster care and adoption. Your purchase helps fund One Simple Wish which restores hope and happiness to children & young adults impacted by foster care, abuse, and neglect.
- The Shop Forward – Made For More Hat ($25) – A simple black trucker hat that makes a statement. This purchase supports Austin Angels NonProfit. National Angels wraps community around children and families in the foster care system.
Gifts for Anyone
- Care2Foster – SHAREfostering Shirt ($20) – Show your support for fostering by wearing this trendy and extra soft #SHAREfostering t-shirt as a conversation starter in the grocery store, doctors offices, and around town. All proceeds from sales will go directly to recruiting and supporting foster parents in South Carolina.
- Care2Foster – SHAREfostering Sticker – Show your support for fostering with this #SHAREfostering sticker. Sticker is approx. 5 x 5″ with white text on a clear background. Put it on your car, water bottle, or laptop so others can see it! All proceeds from sales will go directly to recruiting and supporting foster parents in South Carolina.
- The Shop Forward – We Care Sweatshirt ($48) – A comfy sweatshirt with a simple message, “we care.” This purchase supports National Angels Nonprofit. National Angels wraps community around children and families in the foster care system.
- Goods and Better – When You’re Here You’re Home Print ($13) 11×17 print. There are lots of colorful and meaningful prints to choose from, but this one speaks to our family’s motto, “all are welcome here.” Your G&B purchase brings hope and healing to children entering foster care through a partnership with Foster the Family. You choose your impact by selecting what you’d like to pass on: comfort, clothing, luggage, essentials, or a baby bundle.
- Make a donation to Fostering Great Ideas– Consider donating directly to the December fundraiser to give a fun outing to a sibling group separated in foster care. It’s a great gift to give someone who doesn’t need anything! Give it in their honor or on their behalf. Fostering Great Ideas is a non-profit that is dedicated to improving the lives of children in foster care.
Whatever you celebrate, we wish you hope, joy, and peace this holiday season. May the family around you (and all those who have left your home, and all those to come) know that family is more than blood. Foster care is hard, but love does hard things.